Wednesday, February 6, 2008

First Post!

Welcome to Clupeus Aureus!

The purpose of this blog is my re-entry into the academic world of Ancient Roman History, concentrating on the political and legal history of the Late Republic. I hope to post here regularly about scholarly work in this field and perhaps to do some of my own original research.

My first official project is to re-read Cicero's Catilinarian orations (in Latin, of course) and do a piece-by-piece commentary on them, including both my own thoughts on the original text and (when I have better access to some Classics journals) discussions of relevant secondary sources.

Well, let's get to it then!


P.S. The name of this blog comes from Res Gestae Divi Augusti 34: "Quo pro merito meo senatus consulto Augustus appellatus sum et laureis postes aedium mearum vestiti publice coronaque civica super ianuam meam fixa est et clupeus aureus in curia Iulia positus, quem mihi senatum populumque Romanum dare virtutis clementiaeque et iustitiae et pietatis caussa testatum est per eius clupei inscriptionem."

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

February 6, 2008 at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home