Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Undergrad Papers

I thought it might be helpful to you readers if I gave you an idea of what kinds of topics I'm interested, so, below I'm posting links to a few of my more important undergraduate papers along with short descriptions of their topics.



The Nature of the Worship of Augustus During his Lifetime

The title is basically self-explanatory. I give a basic overview of his worship in the provinces and the influences which lead to his association with Apollo. I also offer my take on why Augustus was so reluctant to allow Roman citizens to worship him in the same manner as the provincials.

Elections and Auctoritas under Augustus

This is one of my favorite papers, just because I feel that it takes a somewhat original position. Basically I believe that Augustus did not need to rely on any formal powers to influence politics in Rome, but rather that the Republican system operated in a similar way to what it had before the revolution, only that afterwards, with all auctoritas concentrated in the person of Augustus, his political influence was so great as to make it irresistable.


The End of the Nobiles

This paper, in essence, denies that the nobiles merely drifted into political passivity willingly after the accession of Augustus, but rather that they indeed put up a fight, but were put down by violence on Augustus' part.


When you click the links you'll be taken to a download page where you can download my papers as MS Word files.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home